Sort DICOM Browser by Date

Suggestions for MicroDicom viewer
dartanian

Sort DICOM Browser by Date

Post by dartanian » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:25 am

I am using version 2.1.2 and would like to be able to browse a set of studies from a DICOMDIR in the DICOM browser which are sorted by date. Currently the only option that I can find is to sort the list in the DICOM browser by patient name in either ascending or descending order. Is there a plan to implement a sort by date? Thank you!

simeon
Site Admin

Re: Sort DICOM Browser by Date

Post by simeon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:55 pm

Yes, sorting by date is in our TODO list.

basuki

Post by basuki » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Dear Simeon, would be a dicomdir viewer to filter the patient database by patient name, ID, study date, classify by time etc. Maybe something like a "search" dialog box. Tks a lot

simeon
Site Admin

Post by simeon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:44 pm

Yes, search is written in our TODO list and will be implemented very soon.

Ray-X

Post by Ray-X » Tue May 14, 2019 8:49 pm

"very soon"... Still not implemented almost a year later. :(

I'm adding my +1 for date browsing/sorting.

This is an awesome program, though! It's one of only a few free ones I tried that lists all images at once from a directory, which in my particular case right now is super helpful.

I have transferred 10 years worth of Dicom images from individual discs to my HD in order to create an .iso to burn a single disc to take to a doctor.
Date sorting would be great for me right now, but I'll have to do things the hard way, as my appointment is tomorrow.

Unfortunately, my studies are from multiple sources and they used different patient naming conventions, which makes my studies jump around out of chronological order in the MicroDicom listview.

For now, here's a workaround for those who want to sort them by date when compiling a collection as I did above:
Use the open source freeware QuickDicomEdit to alter image tags.

MicroDicom will sort chronologically, if you change the name tag in various ways, as long as the names and numbers are in proper order.
Remember, EVERY image in a given directory must be changed. Following are examples that work — yes, I tested them all:
1. Replace patient name tag with study date. Year must be first (e.g., 2017-05-24), unless all are the same year, of course, in which case edit according to month or day.
2. Or, if you want the year last, use a prefix format, such as: (1) 2-3-2014; (2) March 4, 2016; (3) 12-05-2017; (4) 06-26-2018; etc — it doesn't matter what you put in the string after the prefix, MicroDicom sorts according to the first number it finds in the string.
3. If you want to keep the patient name for the listview, you can add the date stamp to the patient name, either before or after. Again, the year must be first if you want to use a formal such as #1 above — the patient name must be exactly the same and you must use the same format (name first or name after) across all images in all studies for that particular patient. Or, you can use a prefix as in #2 above. Example: Anderson, Tom (1) Feb. 2, 2000; Anderson, Tom (2) June 6, 2003; Anderson, Tom (3) 11/07/08 — again, it sorts according to the first number it finds after the name.
4. In the case of multiple patients in a directory, MicroDicom sorts them alphabetically, then sorts each patient's studies in chronological order, if you use methods such as #1-3 above.

Fortunately, QuickDicomEdit also has batch editing, which is very helpful for CT scans. :D