"Not Responding" when loading large dicom files

Bug reports for MicroDicom viewer
Screaming In Digital

"Not Responding" when loading large dicom files

Post by Screaming In Digital » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:40 pm

Simeon,

Before I go into details, I do want to tell you that I really like your software. Out of all the freeware DICOM viewers available, this one is the easiest to use and best feature set.

I have noticed that I receive a "Program not responding" error when loading large dicom files. I can open the "DICOMDIR" fine, however some of the scenes cause the program to hang and Vista eventually closes it. I believe it may be due to the size of the dicom file, which is obviously correlated to the number of frames.

The size of the file is somewhere between 16MB-20MB when I start to see the "Program Not Responding". Sometimes, the error will go away, but most of the time, Vista closes the program.

I believe if you open a study from a CD/DVD, you copy a selected scene to the hard drive prior to playing it. This is where the problem occurs. It seems that after 3-4 seconds during the copy phase, Vista thinks the application has hung. This would correlate with the larger scene file causing the crash.

I am using the 64-bit version of MicroDicom. I have a quad core with 8GB of RAM on 64-bit Vista Home Premium. I don't think there is an issue with my system. I can play "Crysis" for a couple hours straight without any issues.

Are you using VS 2005, 2008, or MinGW 32/64 to build MicroDICOM?

simeon
Site Admin

Re: "Not Responding" when loading large dicom files

Post by simeon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:12 pm

I must test it with your files. Can you send me one big file? ;)
Yes I use VS 2008 to build it.

Screaming In Digital

Post by Screaming In Digital » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Did you receive the file?

simeon
Site Admin

Post by simeon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:26 pm

No ;(